Friday, January 04, 2008

Organic Red Kale, Quinoa, Tempeh

I took a bunch of red kale and just sliced it every inch of length, going up and down the stalk. Then, in a large stock pan, I put a little olive oil and three cloves of garlic that I had thinly sliced, and sauteed over medium heat for just a minute or so - I didn't let the garlic turn brown but just soften a bit. I added in 1/2 cup boiling water, into which I had dissolved a cube of vegan bouillon, the kale, and a little salt.

I brought the heat up to return the water to a boil, then reduced it to a low heat and simmered the kale, covered, for 6-8 minutes. Removing the cover, I let the kale cook for another 5-7 minutes till much of the water had evaporated, then I mixed in some freshly ground black pepper, a tablespoon or so of red wine vinegar, and maybe 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ginger, finely diced. I served it with some gourmet fried Lars' Own brand crispy onions on top, along with quinoa and sauteed tempeh.

4 Comments:

At Sun Jan 06, 05:12:00 PM EST, Blogger Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

Your pictures always look lovely and your meals creative. It inspires me to try new things with my simple and cheap "rice and beans" pantry.

 
At Sun Jan 06, 06:30:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks! How is the flooding situation for your parents? Happy 2008 - and thanks for your very kind words. --Dilip

 
At Wed Jun 25, 03:28:00 PM EDT, Blogger ALIYA said...

Thanks for the recipe. It is an interesting that you have ventured away (very well) from Indian recipes.
Kudos to you.

I am from India too...

 
At Thu Jun 26, 02:36:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Aliya, for your kind comment. Best wishes! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home