Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Mild Gumbo over Wild and Brown Rice with Lemon Tempeh

I purchased okra a few days ago with the idea of making a gumbo-like dish. That's what I did tonight, though I didn't use all the traditional gumbo vegetables (no celery or bell pepper), and I didn't include a roux. I used my slow cooker and cooked, on low for 6 hours, these ingredients:

A small box (13. 7 ounces) of diced organic tomato

15 pieces of okra, cut into 1/2" lengths

1/2 medium onion , diced into 1/4" cubes

1T olive oil, 1T Floribbean Foods' Key Lime oil, 1T organic apple cider, 6T water

Rosemary (1-2T), oregano (1t), salt, pepper

I served this atop rice that I had cooked with a cube of vegan bouillon, as well as tempeh sauteed in the Key Lime oil.

It was just an idea that I had and it came out pretty good, but I'd like to try making something more akin to Louisiana gumbo. Though the oil did well with the tempeh, the lemon flavor just didn't blend well with my dish; I'd omit it and maybe the sweet cider, as well. I liked the consistency, so I might go with 2T olive oil and 7T water. I would also add a little more salt and add some "heat" such as red chile powder or hot peppers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home