Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cormeal Encrusted Limed Portabello and Asparagus, Maple Baked Beans

I had the cornmeal mixture leftover from Monday, so used it up tonight making what turned out to be a much less interesting dinner. I cut asparagus spears in half and, like on Monday, coated them with Annie's organic Baja Lime marinade, then baked it in the oven at 350°F, but for only about 20 (instead of 30-40) minutes. I also took a portabello mushroom cap and sliced it into sixths, and treated it the same way.

Like on Monday, I took the vegetables out of the oven and gave them a few minutes to be cool enough to handle. I dredged them through the cornmeal mixture then sauteed for about 2 minutes, flipped, and sauteed for about 2 more minutes before serving next to mashed potatoes.

I also made a simple sweet onion and heirloom tomato salad by mixing in a tablespoon of pesto and a little salt to chunks of a medium heirloom tomato and a quarter of a medium sweet onion. I was a little tight on time, so just heated up some organic canned baked beans with maple syrup (sometimes my stomach gets upset with beans, especially those like kidney beans, but I usually sprinkle a little ground ginger on top, which may help; today there was no problem) as a side dish.

Dinner was okay, but I much preferred the seitan dish from Monday. I sampled the asparagus when it first came out of the oven and really liked it. Sometime, I'll make a simple side dish of asparagus prepared this way and not breaded. I may make a dinner at some point with a combination of portabello mushroom and seitan, encrusted in cornmeal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home