Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Mixed Vegetables with Indo-Italian Sauce, Corn-off-the-Cob

Almost two weeks ago, I had made a pasta dish with a locally packaged Indian-Italian fusion bottled tomato sauce (containing "tomatoes, onions, peanut-oil, garlic, salt, oregano, red chili powder, cumin, coriander") from a company named InFusion Foods. I had about a third of the bottle left, and was much more satisfied with how the sauce shined in the dish that I made today.

In a nonstick saucepan, I did a quick saute, using canola oil (and later adding a little Mongolian Fire oil), of about a quarter of a red onion, medium diced, and a large fingerling potato, cut into small, maybe 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/2", rectangular pieces. As the potato softened, maybe 10 minutes later, I added asparagus, cut into 1/2" lengths; three small okras, sliced into thin 1/4" or less discs; and perhaps a half teaspoon of whole cumin seeds (I would have liked to have added grated ginger, but couldn't find any in my refrigerator). I continued cooking, stirring occasionally, for another 2 or 3 minutes (being careful to not burn the cumin), then added the sauce and several tablespoons of English peas, and let it simmer for a few minutes before serving.

I also served brown basmati rice. I seem to be out of vegan bouillon cubes, so cooked the rice in water plus two tablespoons of the leftover simple tomato sauce that I had made at the beach this past weekend. I also roasted three ears of corn the way I normally do over the open flame of my gas range (I came up with a new technique to keep hands further from the flame - in shucking, I didn't remove the covering, but folded it back so that I had a long "handle" to hold), then added salt, fresh lime juice, and Earth Balance vegan margarine.

Dinner was good! I would like to purchase more InFusion Foods' sauces (or try making similar sauces in my slow cooker) and experiment with dishes more Indian like today's main course, rather than Italian pasta ones.

Tomorrow, I have a new 6-week photography class starting (as always, it's full with a wait list, and I have emails asking to be let in to the class!), so we'll be eating out. But I'm planning on a nice home-cooked dinner on Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home