Thursday, August 30, 2007

Beet-Mashed Potatoes, Leftover Grilled Vegetables, Corn off the Cob

From last week's beet appetizer, I had some of the beet reduction left. I had the idea to make mashed potatoes and mix the reduction in. I also mixed in about half of a small shallot, diced to about 1/4" x 3/8" pieces, Earth Balance margarine, and salt, and I garnished it with a chive sprig. It ended up tasting quite remarkable, better and different than I had imagined. I'm at a loss of words to characterize the flavor, but it was like a rich mashed potato with a strong overtone of some other appealing flavor, not of beet. Wow!

I also reheated the grilled vegetables from last Thursday and grilled corn on the gas range. As usual, I mixed in fresh lime, Earth Balance, and salt; I also added in about a quarter of a jalapeno pepper, diced to less than 1/4" cubes.

I had to go back to the July 19th blog entry to remember that the cracker I served is a low-fat (and delicious!) millet and flax garlic "chip". I have to figure out where I purchased it from as I want to make it a regular in my pantry!

4 Comments:

At Fri Aug 31, 09:18:00 AM EDT, Blogger radioactivegan said...

Wow. Those are some pink potatoes. I never would have thought that beets would add so much color.

 
At Fri Aug 31, 02:14:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, jamie, for the comment. I need to add a description to the meal's picture. The beets added tremendous color! I had considered gently swirling in the beet reduction to get a marbled effect, but decided to make it more homogeneous.

 
At Tue Sep 04, 03:09:00 PM EDT, Blogger candyland said...

hat´s such a brilliant idea.....thanks for the inspiration!

 
At Tue Sep 04, 04:05:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks for the kind comment, candyland. The potatoes tasted great!!

I enjoyed seeing your blog - your seitan and chantrelle mushroom pasta looks good, for example! I'm going to be coming to the World Vegetarian Congress in Deutschland (mein nebenfach im Universitat was Deutsch!) next year - will you be attending? --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home