Saturday, August 25, 2007

Organic Conchiglie (seashell) Pasta with Indo-Italian Sauce and Vegetables

As I had mentioned last weekend, I purchased some Indian-fusion bottled tomato sauce from a local company named InFusion Foods. The sauce contains "tomatoes, onions, peanut-oil, garlic, salt, oregano, red chili powder, cumin, coriander". I made a simple pasta dish by using seashell-shaped organic pasta made at the Montebello Monastery in Marche, Italy. In another pan, I briefly (maybe for 2 minutes) sauteed over medium heat small chunks of a quarter Anaheim pepper, a red onion, and a quarter yellow onion. Then I added the sauce and simmered over low heat. When I was ready to serve, I first mixed in about a dozen small fresh oregano leaves.

I boiled and then drained the pasta, rinsing it with cool water. I served the pasta with the sauce, as well as with a salad and sauteed tempeh strips. It was good but my original hunch about the sauce's being too runny proved to be true. I'd enjoy working with these sauces again, but perhaps would mix in some tomato paste or slow-cooked eggplant. The taste, in any case, was interesting but lacked the punch of a fuller tomato sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home