Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Roasted Vegetables over Red Rice, Red String Beans with Pesto Sauce

My parents are from India and today is India's 60th anniversary of independence! Can you see the white, green, and orange, the colors of India's flag, in today's dinner?

I cut eggplant and sweet potato into thin slices, less than 1/2". I also cut 1/2" rounds from about a third of an onion. I put the vegetables on a cookie sheet that I had first sprayed with a little bit of olive oil, then I sprayed a bit on top of the vegetables. I roasted the vegetables, flipping them once about halfway through, in my preheated 375°F oven for about 35-40 minutes. I served the vegetables with red rice (ratio of 1:3 water; I included a vegan bouillon cube and a little salt).

I also made a nice bean dish. I had some of the red/purple string beans left from my wife's farmer's market purchase. I started a little onion sauteeing and added the beans, cut into 1" pieces. I let it cook for about 5 minutes, then removed the beans to a bowl. I added a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, as well as a teaspoon and a half or so of pesto sauce. We both enjoyed the meal!

Yesterday, after my Cary, NC photography class, several students, a student's spouse, several friends, my wife, and I went out to eat at Udupi South Indian restaurant, very close to where I teach. I had their spring masala dosa; for some reason, my wife and I have found that their food isn't up to par the past few visits we've had there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home