Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Asparagus Saute with Spicy Vegan 'Sausage', Pesto Toast

Tonight I had the challenge of putting together a very quick dinner. My wife has been taking an interesting, intensive class on documentary film making that started this past Saturday for seven days, typically going 9a-9p and beyond. She has been eating with her classmates and I was out teaching tonight and thought that I would cook for myself when I got home. I was surprised to hear that she was so caught up in the course that she didn't take a dinner break so when I got home around 9:30p, I had to quickly get dinner for both or us ready.

I was thinking of heating up the leftover spring masala dosa from yesterday; my parents and I ate out at Tower South Indian Restaurant to celebrate my Mom's birthday. Instead, I made a simple saute, starting with eggplant cubes. A few minutes later, I added onion and chunks of artisanal vegan Mexican Chipotle "sausage" by the Field Roast Grain Meat Company; I had originally thought of tempeh, but I was out. This is a spicy product and I purchased it thinking I'd chunk it into some pasta sauce. A few minutes later, I added fine rice noodles that I had first soaked in hot water for 10 minutes or so then rinsed in cold water and drained, as well as approximately inch-long pieces of asparagus. I sauteed it all just a few minutes longer, adding small cubes of fresh ginger at the end as well as a little hot sauce. Served with a slice of toast with pesto sauce, it turned out to be a good dinner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home