Monday, September 03, 2007

Gnocchi with Simple Tomato Sauce

We had a great full day at the beach with fabulous weather in the mid 70s and the ocean, with moderate waves, of temperature around 82-83°F! Too bad that we have to leave tomorrow morning.

Tonight, I made another simple dinner. I had some packaged potato gnocchi (pasta stuffed with mashed potatoes) which simply needed to be boiled for a few minutes then drained. Though it's so simple, I've not prepared it for a number of years.

I made a simple tomato sauce; I sauteed in the one pan that I brought (actually an aluminum sauce pan, but it worked well for a quick saute) a small onion, finely chopped, and most of a bell pepper, also finely chopped. I cooked for just 2 minutes or so, then added a small box of organic diced tomato, and simmered on low for 10 minutes or so. I wish I had my fresh herbs! The kitchen had some dried herbs, which I helped myself to - maybe a half teaspoon each of basil and oregano. I also added a few shakes of salt.

I served the sauce atop the gnocchi, along with some tempeh and a tiny bit of something I hate but know it's good for you - seaweed, which my wife had picked up; we got the sides from a nice cooperative grocery store that we like in Wilmington, NC, called Tidal Creek. This coop has a prepared food section that is all (or mostly?) organic and almost entirely vegan!

2 Comments:

At Wed Sep 12, 01:52:00 PM EDT, Blogger kristiveggie said...

This sounds yummy Dilip! I am a big pasta fan though I am trying to watch the carbs and lose weight. I will have to try this.

This is my first blog posting on any blog so I am being dragged into the (gasp!) computer age...

Kristi

 
At Wed Sep 12, 02:24:00 PM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Kristi, for your comment. It was a relatively simple dinner as we were traveling. I hope that this and other meals on the blog may be of assistance to you! Welcome to blogging! --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home