Thursday, September 13, 2007

Brussels Sprouts with Rice Noodles, Pan-Grilled Asparagus, Guacamole

I have come to really like rice noodles, and it's been a while since I've cooked with them. I set some noodles to soak for about 10 minutes in a bowl of hot tap water.

I made a simple dinner by cutting a dozen or fifteen Brussels sprouts into halves or, for larger ones, quarters, and sauteed them over medium heat along with a medium red onion, sliced into thin half-moons. A few minutes later, I added two 6" stalks of rosemary to add flavor to the olive oil, as well as a few drops of Mongolian Fire Oil. When the sprouts had browned, in maybe 10 minutes, I removed the rosemary stalks and added in some fresh herbs, roughly chopped; maybe a teaspoon of rosemary needles, a half dozen or more basil leaves, and a dozen oregano leaves. I also added some vinegar-based hot sauce, a little soy sauce, and a little salt. I also added the noodles. I cooked, stirring, for a few minutes.

I also grilled, with very little oil, on my cast iron pan, some asparagus spears, which I served with fresh lime juice, salt, and pepper. In the store today, I found a discounted guacamole kit that looked (but ended up tasting only "okay" - the avocado was rather watery) good, and just mixed in the tomato-onion package with the avocado paste (when I make guacamole, I leave plenty of lumps, but this really was like a paste). I also mixed in a little rosemary, as I do when I make guacamole.

Tomorrow is my photography class, but my wife may not join me to eat out afterwards. If any of my students want to join me, I'll eat out, or I may come home and make something just for myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home