Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Indian Cooking Class: Rice Pilaf, Curried Mushrooms, Bhindi (okra), Palak Tamatar, tomato salad (and more, including Chocolate Tofu Pie)



Tonight was my Indian cooking class, and my students followed my recipes to make a rice pilaf, curried mushrooms, bhindi (okra-tomato-onion side dish), palak-tamatar (spinach-tomato side dish), and my grandfather's favorite spiced tomato salad. I bought some frozen paratha (thin flat breads), which I showed my students how to heat and prepare - and to use instead of utensils to eat. We also had some of my Mom's homemade lemon pickle.

Not shown here is a rice milk-fresh mango based spiced mango shake and spicy chai that we made, and the American dessert (I am not fond of Indian desserts; this used to be an 8-week class when I taught it in Raleigh years ago, and in the 6-week version American is cut) of chocolate tofu pie - made in smooth and rocky road (with walnuts) versions. Both versions included pomegranate jam - which I had not seen till recently!

2 Comments:

At Thu Aug 10, 02:07:00 AM EDT, Blogger मन कस्तुरी रे.. said...

Hello Dilip,

What is Rice Milk?

You had asked me about 'Silent Music'..... I meant the music with soft tunes and poetic meaning.

I would like to see some of Sangeeta's photos on Smugmug. If you don't mind, can you let me know the password please?


Cheers
Ashwini

 
At Sat Aug 12, 11:57:00 PM EDT, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Wow, what a class!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home