Friday, July 28, 2006

Whole Wheat Fettuccine alla Bolognese

My wife returned tonight from her class and I made a simple dish so that we could go out to see a film. I recently bought Hodgson Mill organic whole wheat fettuccine with milled flax seed, and used it as a base for dinner. Bolognese is a sauce that traditionally is made with meat; I found a premium vegan Bolognese sauce in the store a week or so back, which uses textured vegetable protein. I simmered the sauce with mushrooms, fresh herbs, chunks of tempeh, and seasonings (salt and crushed red pepper). I served the pasta with the sauce, topping with vegan Parm! "Parmesan" cheese, and also serving rosemary crostini.

It was good! I think I'm going to try making my own Bolognese sauce sometime by preparing a soffritto base saute of garlic, onion, porcini mushrooms, and carrots, then adding and browning small chunks of seitan. Then I'll put in some white wine, reduce it, and then a little tomato paste or sauce and a little stock, simmering for 20 minutes or so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home