Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Italian Cooking Class: Eggplant Saute, Orzo, Panzanella, Polenta (and Blueberry Crisp)

I have a great class that efficiently works well together. Most of my previous classes get the Italian dinner on the table around 8:45-9 (the last class served close to 9:30, and we have to be out of the facility by 9:45!), but this class was ready to eat around 8:20! We were leisurely able to eat, cleanup, and saunter out by 9:30 or so.

Today they made my recipes of Italian-inspired dishes. I rarely cook with tofu (it bothers my wife's stomach and also can bother mine), but the main course of eggplant saute today did use a herbed tofu. The orzo is served with herbs and lime zest. I showed my students how to make a simple polenta side dish, starting with prepared polenta available in wrapped tubes. The panzanella (bread salad) was great, as it always is - this dish is often chosen as the best that we make in the entire series of six cooking classes. And - the dessert, blueberry crisp (not shown here), is sometimes also chosen as the best dessert, though the chocolate baklava we'll be making in a few weeks usually beats it out, and the orangey rice pudding from next week may garner a few votes.

3 Comments:

At Thu Jul 27, 01:36:00 AM EDT, Blogger मन कस्तुरी रे.. said...

Hi Dilip,

I would relly love to visit you and see how you eat....everyday meal so ceremonially.... It is really nice to enjoy it that way.
Let's see when I can make it.

I always feel that you should remove the prejudices you have about Indian Food. There are several dishes which you might not have tasted and are Great!

 
At Thu Jul 27, 03:58:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

I do like Indian food, especially South Indian. Thanks for your kind comments!

When I was dating, I tried to ignore how beautiful the women were whom I was courting as looks really don't matter - it's what's inside that counts. Well ... except for food! It's important when serving food, whether for many or just one, for the total user experience, including color, texture, overall appearance, minor and major "bouquets" of fragrance, and, of course, taste to all present a pleasing invitation, hence my focus on presentation. I look forward to when you and your family might be able to join us!

 
At Thu Jul 27, 04:00:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

By the way, credit for tonight's meal goes to my students and their aesthetic plate layouts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home