Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Baby Bok Choy - Orange Cauliflower - Broccoli saute with garlic scapes, along with soup and toast

Tonight I made a saute mostly with ingredients I had bought fresh from the local farmer's market on Saturday. I started with some thin slices of garlic (not from that market) in hot olive oil and soon thereafter added baby bok choy. After a few minutes, I added lovely orange cauliflower (also known as golden or yellow cauliflower) and broccoli. A few minutes later, I added some hot sauce, seasonings, and a touch of soy sauce.

At the farmer's market, I bought a big allium flower head with many beautiful little purple florets (I should take a picture). The farmer said this is edible and gives a nice garlic taste without lingering on the breath. It looks lovely and I've stored it sitting in water in the refrigerator. I believe this is called a garlic scape. Once I served the saute, I sprinkled some scapes (if that's what they're called) on top - they tasted great!

I also served heirloom tomato slices on toast, and radishes. I heated some organic canned lentil soup, as it was (surprisingly and refreshingly) a little cool after a late afternoon rain.

I know I have been cooking with a lot of greens recently, but they are in season, taste good, and are nutritious. I have some mixed greens to use up in the coming days.

I am going through a period with a number of days of not cooking. Yesterday, my wife and I joined two friends to enjoy an informational evening of tandem cycling, including an exhilirating ride at a bike store in Raleigh preceded by a quick dinner at Whole Foods. Thursday I will be teaching, and we're planning on going out.

1 Comments:

At Wed Jun 07, 08:40:00 PM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife and I test rode a tandem at that very same bike shop in 1995. We ended up buying one from a different shop, but we're still riding it over 10 years later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home