Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Rainbow chard with chickpeas, wild rice

I bought some beautiful organic rainbow chard yesterday and cooked it today. I cut some sweet Vidalia onions into thick slivers and did a light saute in a saucepan with olive oil over medium heat. As the onion was sauteing, I added a few pinches of turmeric and prepared the chard leaves. The chard was very fresh and easy to work with; I just washed each leaf then with my fingers (the leaves wereh so tender that no knife was needed) stripped the leaf off of the stem. When the onion was getting translucent, I added some raw chickpeas that my wife had been sprouting. After stirring for a minute or two, I added a few teaspoons of water and roughly cut, again with my fingers, each chard leaf into maybe approximate quarters and put the chard and fresh oregano leaves into the pan. I brought the liquid to a quick boil then covered the pan and reduced the heat, cooking for about 4 or 5 minutes. I mixed in some crushed red pepper and served this tasty dish. I also made some wild rice and served tomato atop oat bread.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home