Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Stir-fried broccolini with (purchased) corn salad

Tonight I made a simple broccolini dish. Also known as asparation, tender stem, and baby broccoli, it is a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale. I blanched the broccolini quickly (I brought water to a boil then submerged the spears for about a minute, then plunged them into cold water) then added it to a saute pan where I had slivers of garlic sauteing in mainly olive oil but also a little hot pepper sesame oil. I did a quick stir fry for about a minute or two, tossing some sesame seeds in and, at the end, a little organic hot sauce.

In the meantime, I was roasting some garlic. Into my small ceramic roaster I put a bulb of garlic (that my brother brought back for me from a farmer's market in southern California) that I had cut off about a quarter inch from the top, exposing the cloves. I dripped a little olive oil into the exposed garlic, maybe half a teaspoonful, and covered the roaster. Normally, I'd like to roast the garlic slowly, maybe for almost an hour at 350°F, but I needed it sooner, so put it in my toaster oven at its maximum temperature (I think it was 475°F) for about 20-25 minutes. The garlic came out with the clove tops looking golden brown and the cloves quite soft so that I could gently squeeze them onto some lemon boule bread. I also put one roasted clove into the center of an avocado - it was a tasty combination!

I was shopping at Whole Foods Market earlier, and found some amazing grilled corn salad that I couldn't resist, so included that as a great side dish. I'm happy that fresh corn is starting to appear, though I've not seen organic cobs yet. This salad was great and had in it: corn, locally grown sweet Vidalia onion, bell pepper, cherry tomato, avocado, jalapeno, garlic, white wine vinegar, olive oil, dijion (? I think they mean Dijon mustard), salt, black pepper, basil, and parsley.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home