Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Baby Navy Beans with Olives, Jade Pearl Rice with Kale (No Added Fat)

I made a simple bean dish accented with olives. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 2 cups baby navy beans (dry), rinsed and soaked for about 8 hours or more, and then rinsed again
  • Enough water to just cover beans
  • Vegan bouillon cube (I forgot but this would have been a good addition)
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely (1/8") minced
  • 1/4 cup finely (less than 1/4") chopped onion
  • 1 cup frozen (or fresh) peas
  • 1/2 cup pitted and quartered olives (it took about 20 medium olives)
  • 5T nutritional yeast
  • 1/2 t dried oregano
  • 2t chopped basil (I used frozen cubes)
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
Process
  1. I put the beans, water, bouillon cube, and garlic in my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 25m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then opened the pot.
  3. I mixed in the onion, peas, olive, nutritional yeast, oregano, basil, turmeric, salt, pepper, and lime juice, and served.
I served with some Jade Pearl rice cooked with a vegan bouillon cube and hand-torn kale leaves.
Results

Dinner was good! My daughter encouraged me to add so much nutritional yeast, and I think that flavor nicely complimented the dish.

Ideas for the future

I could have put more onion in but, at the urging of my onion-averse daughter, used just a quarter cup. The dish could have had more olives. Squash pieces would have gone well with the bean dish, as well.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home