Thursday, April 27, 2017

Sweet Potato and Corn with Sea-Beans (No Added Fat)

I found sea-beans at Whole Foods Market yesterday; I have used them once in a great while, when I can find them, such as last June (I thought they were "sea beans" but it looks like they need a hypen in their name). I came up with the idea of using the sea-beans as punctuating flavor in a sweet potato dish. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 3 medium sweet potatoes (I used my favorite, the white-fleshed Japanese sweet potato) cut into 1" or so pieces (about 4-5 cups)
  • 1/4 cup onion cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1/2 cup corn kernels (I used frozen, but fresh is good, as well)
  • 1/4 cup sea-beans
Process
  1. I put the sweet potato pieces in my Instant Pot pressure cooker and pressure steamed for 8m. My intent was for them to be slightly undercooked, but they were actually cooked just right.
  2. In the meantime, I put the onion into a large Saladmaster stock pan, not yet on.
  3. After the pressure cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the sweet potato to the stock pan atop the onion.
  4. I added the corn and then the sea-beans to the stock pot and then cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 5m (normally 20m, but the sweet potato was cooked and I just needed to blend flavors and cook the onion a bit and defrost the corn.
  5. I mixed and served, along with a bagel and black beans.
Results

Dinner was good! The sea-beans can be salty, but turned out well in this dish.

Ideas for the future

I rarely see sea-beans in our grocery stores. I should continue to buy them and experiment with them when I do see them.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home