Monday, April 10, 2017

Jerk Mango and Seitan with Madagascar Pink Rice (No Added Fat)

I had some tasty mangoes and had the idea to cook some mango with seitan. My idea was to saute onion, mango, and seitan, and serve with jerk seasoning.

I also took a look online and found that I'm (of course!) not the first to think of cooking mango with seitan. I found an interesting sounding Thai Mango Seitan Stir-Fry recipe where the mango is made into a sauce; I should try an approach like this sometime. But for tonight, here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 clove garlic, finely (1/8") diced
  • 1/2 cup onion, cut into thin (approx. 1/4" x 1"; I used almost half of a small onion) half moon slices
  • 1 1/4 cup Russet (I used a medium one) or Yukon Gold potato cut into approx. 3/8" cubes
  • 8 ounces seitan cut into approx. 3/4" cubes (ideally - my package had seitan in strips maybe 1/4" x 1 1/4", and that was what I used)
  • 1T fresh squeezed lemon juice
  • 2-3 T coconut aminos (or low-sodium soy or tamari sauce)
  • 1/3 cup mango pieces cut into approx. 3/8" cubes (I used a medium ataulfo "champagne" mango, one of my favorite types)
  • (optional) 1/4 t organic lemon or lime zest (I had an organic Meyer lemon so instead just chopped up the lemon after squeezing and used a full teasponful)
  • 2/3 cup bell pepper cut into approx. 1/4"x3/4" strips
  • 1t jerk seasoning
Process
  1. I put the garlic, onion, and potato into a stainless steel skillet with no oil and cooked, stirring occasionally, on medium high heat for about 10 minutes till the potato was a bit softenened and just showing a little bit of browning.
  2. I then added the seitan and lemon juice (and would have added the coconut aminos, but we were out), stirred and cooked for a minute
  3. I added the mango, zest (Meyer lemon pieces), and bell pepper, stirred and cooked on low for about 5 more minutes, then served my daughter's portion. For my wife and me, I mixed in the jerk seasoning first.
I served  with Madagascar pink rice (normally it is cooked in a ratio of 1 part rice to 1 3/4 cups water and a bit of salt, simmered for 18-20m, but I use a ratio of 1:2, and include a vegan bouillon cube; this time, I added a pinch of turmeric, too, for its health benefits). I also made a chopped salad with tomato, olive, ume plum vinegar, freshly ground black pepper, a dash of salt, and chopped oregano leaves from the garden.

Results

Dinner was good - we all enjoyed it. The potato would have cooked better either if baked and then cubed or just cooked on my cast iron pan.

Usually when I cook on my stainless Saladmaster skillet, if I add acid like tomato, anything that sticks easily comes off with a little scraping. However, the lemon juice didn't do as good a job (but the pan easily cleaned as always with a little soaking and then scrubbing). However, the bits of charred food that I did scrape off added nice specks of color and taste to the main course.

Ideas for the future

I should explore a mango sauce served with a seitan course, perhaps like the referenced recipe at the top. Maybe I should try making a main course as I often do in my Instant Pot and simply mix in raw cubes of mango. Mango is so good and I'm looking forward to expanding its use to more main courses!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home