Saturday, April 01, 2017

Artichoke Heart and Seitan Stew with Jade Pearl Rice (No Added Fat)

Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1 clove garlic, finely (1/8") diced
  • 1 cup bell pepper (I used 1/2 cup yellow and wanted to use 1/2 cup green, but we didn't have green, so used 1/2 cup red) cut into approx. 1/4"x3/4" strips
  • (optional) 2 or 3 white or crimini mushrooms cut into 1/2" cubes (I only included mushroom because I had two that had to be used up)
  • 6 ounces artichoke hearts cut into 3/4" or so cubes (I used grilled ArtiHearts; they have 5g of fat in all, so I feel justified calling this a no added fat meal - less than 2g of added fat per serving)
  • 8 ounces of seitan cut into any reasonably small size (the seitan we bought was cut into maybe 1/2" chunks)
  • About half (I actually used a bit more than half) of a 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes
  • 1t chopped basil (I used a frozen cube)
  • 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
Process
  1. I cooked most of the ingredients waterlessly. I put, in this order, the onion, garlic, bell pepper, mushroom, artichoke hearts, and seitan into a large Saladmaster stock pan.
  2. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 15 minutes.
  3. I turned off the heat, then added the diced tomato, basil (if I were using fresh basil, I'd add the basil just before serving and not heat it), black pepper, and salt. I mixed and let it sit for two more minutes, covered.
I served along with Jade pearl rice (cooked in a 1 part rice to 2 parts water, along with a bit of salt and a vegan bouillon cube, simmered for 20m) and radish and cucumber.

Results

Dinner was great! We all enjoyed it.

Ideas for the future

My favorite artichoke is the grilled ArtiHearts, which I first discovered in 2007. We need to get these more frequently and continue to come up with dishes with them. I particularly liked how the artichoke hearts contributed texture when cubed instead of when they have soft rounded edges.

My wife and I added crushed red pepper to the main course at the table. I could have used a little jerk seasoning in this dish. I wonder what artichoke hearts with vegan sausage might be like.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home