Thursday, March 02, 2017

Green Tomato Split Pea Dhal (No Added Fat)

I wanted to use a remaining green tomato from the farmers' market from this past weekend. I thought I'd make a thick split pea dhal featuring the tomato. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 cup split peas (I used green but yellow would be fine)
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 - 2 cups (what a typical medium tomato may yield) green tomato cut into 1/4" cubes (my medium tomato yielded 1 3/4 cups)
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1T lemon or lime juice
Process
  1. Split peas typically take 8-10m of pressure cooking in a ratio of 1 part split peas to 3 parts water. I wanted a thicker dhal, so went with a 1:2.5 ratio for 10 minutes. I put the split peas, water, green tomato, turmeric, and cumin into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 10m.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the salt and lime juice.
  3. When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and added salt.
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home