Green Tomato Split Pea Dhal (No Added Fat)
I wanted to use a remaining green tomato from the farmers' market from this past weekend. I thought I'd make a thick split pea dhal featuring the tomato. Here is what I did.
- 1 cup split peas (I used green but yellow would be fine)
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups (what a typical medium tomato may yield) green tomato cut into 1/4" cubes (my medium tomato yielded 1 3/4 cups)
- 1/4 t turmeric
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
- 1T lemon or lime juice
- Split peas typically take 8-10m of pressure cooking in a ratio of 1 part split peas to 3 parts water. I wanted a thicker dhal, so went with a 1:2.5 ratio for 10 minutes. I put the split peas, water, green tomato, turmeric, and cumin into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 10m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the salt and lime juice.
- When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and added salt.