Black Beans over Crispy Polenta (No Added Fat)
Instant Pot. Here is what I did.
- 1 cup prepared black beans
- 1/2 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
- 2 cloves garlic finely (1/8") minced
- 1/4 cup roasted or fresh bell pepper cut into 3/8" cubes
- 1/2 of a small (14.5 ounce) can of stewed or other tomato
- 1/4 t (or to taste) salt
- 1/2 t dried oregano
- 8 ounces of polenta cut into 3/8" discs
- (optional) few extra pieces of onion
- I started heating the beans, onion, garlic, bell pepper, canned diced tomato, and salt on low.
- I wiped a little bit of canola oil on a cast iron pan as it heated on medium heat; about half a minute later, I wiped the oil with a paper towel, leaving a light coating on the pan (I wanted crispy polenta), then put the polenta on the pan. I cooked it, flipping occasionally, and adding the onion a few minutes into the cooking.
- When the polenta was crispy, I served it with the onion, and put the beans (first mixing in oregano) atop.