Friday, January 27, 2017

Chickpeas and Cabbage (No Added Fat)

I thought of making a chickpea dish to take to some friends who just had twin babies. Alas, they had to move our get together, so we reserved some cooked chickpeas for a future dish and made a smaller course for ourselves.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups cooked chickpeas, rinsed
  • 3 cups cabbage cut into 1/2" or so long strips (about a small quarter of a cabbage head)
  • 2 medium tomatillas cut into 3/8" cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4 t turmeric
  • 1 t ground cumin
  • 1T miso (I used chickpea miso, but any kind would be fine)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cups onion cut into half moon slices approx. 1/4" x 1 1/4" ( maybe 2/3 of a medium onion)
  • 1 1/4 cups carrot cut into 3/8" slices (3 small-medium carrots)
Process
  1. While I was out today, my wife made a batch of chickpeas in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, so I had that as a starting point. I put the rinsed chickpeas back in the pressure cooker, along with the cabbage, tomatilla, turmeric, cumin, miso, and water, and cooked for 0 minutes (i.e., just let the Instant Pot come to pressure then turn off).
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the onion, lime juice, and salt.
I served along with jade pearl rice.
Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home