Friday, April 14, 2017

Brown Rice with Seitan and Shiitake Mushroom, Brussels Sprouts (No Added Fat)

I picked up some great looking shiitake mushrooms at the farmers' market the day before yesterday and thought I'd make a simple rice dish topped with seitan and sauteed shiitake mushrooms (I sauteed them in a cast iron pan where I added a little oil and wiped it off before starting, cooking onion and garlic along with the mushrooms). The rice was brown rice, cooked in a 1 part rice to 2 parts water, a pinch or two of salt, a vegan bouillon cube, and 1/4 t turmeric thrown in for good measure. I also sauteed in the same way Brussels sprouts with onion and garlic, then mixed in salt, black pepper, capers, and lemon juice. I made a massaged kale salad, as well.


Results

Dinner was good - we all enjoyed it. I wish that I had some tomato to add a nice contrasting color accent.

Ideas for the future

One thing that I rarely do in my cooking is to use sauces. Tonight's meal is the kind that could have benefited from a sauce, perhaps a lemon tahini or citrus mint with the Brussels sprouts. I should continue to experiment with more ways to serve roasted Brussels sprouts. Mushrooms and seitan go well together; a little mole sauce or seasoning could go well, as could some fresh rosemary needles.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home