Friday, April 28, 2017

Barley, Pea, and Lentil Soup with Green Tomato, Frisee Salad, Grilled Artichoke Hearts (No Added Fat)

I had a pre-packaged combination of barley, peas, and lentils that I bought from Whole Foods Market. The packaged suggested cooking (conventionally, not with pressure; pressure would work but would take much less time, perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 as much) with three times as much water for 23m if one wants soft grains or 10m for tougher grains.

I cooked in the prescribed ratio of 1 part to 3 parts water, plus a vegan bouillon cube, a bit of salt, and 1 1/3 cups green tomato (a medium tomato) cut into 3/8" cubes. I forgot how long I cooked for, but believe it was 20-23 minutes. I mixed in a little lemon or lime juice at the end.

I had purchased the green tomato from our local farmers' market, and also purchased some frisee, which I used along with tomato as a salad. Grilled artichoke hearts completed the meal.
Results

The soup was good! I like the textures and the light flavor that the tomato contributed.

Ideas for the future

I should make more soups with green tomatoes - but it's not always easy to find unripe tomatoes in the market. Some turmeric and cumin would also be nice. My family didn't like the bitter frisee; I love the look and enjoy the taste in small quantities.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home