Thursday, May 18, 2017

Brown Lentils with Edamame and Mung Bean Sprout Fettuccine (No Added Fat)

I love Edamame and mung bean sprout fettuccine  and wondered what it would be like with lentils. Even better, how about if I cooked the pasta not separately, but together with the lentils? They might get overcooked, but it's worth trying! Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups green or brown (I used brown) lentils
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • 1/2 t ground cumin
  • 1/2 t turmeric 
  • 1 cup carrot (2 medium carrots) cut into 3/8" slices - 20m
  • 1 cup Edamame and mung bean sprout fettuccine (or other pasta, but cooking time may have to be adjusted) cut into approx. 2" pieces
  • Medium shallot cut into approx. 3/8" cubes (few tablespoonfuls)
  • ginger
  • 1/4 t garlic powder
  • 1/4 t salt
Process
  1. I put the lentils, water, cumin, turmeric, and carrot into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 20m (green or brown lentils cook with a 1 to 1.5-2 part ratio lentil to water for 15-20m; I wanted this to be thick so went for minimum water and maximum cook time).
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure. The pasta takes about 8m of cook time, but I wondered if it would cook in the residual heat of the Instant Pot, especially as smaller pieces (it did!), so just mixed in the pasta, as well as the remaining ingredients (shallot, garlic powder, and salt). 
  3. I let the pot sit, covered, for about 5-8 minutes, then served.
Results

I loved the dish! The pasta cooked just fine and went well with the lentils. The moisture and texture was all great!

Ideas for the future

My daughter doesn't like this particular pasta, unfortunately, but I should explore more dishes of lentils and pasta. Dried lemon and/or citrus zest would go well with lentil dishes in general, and I should try it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home