Friday, October 28, 2016

Cauliflower with Seitan (No Added Fat)

I'm missing my family who are traveling in India. I like cooking even for just one; I cooked for myself for years before I got married. Tonight, I decided to cook a cauliflower that I had purchased on sale.

I was originally going to make a cauliflower and tofu dish, but had the desire for seitan. I didn't want to make a mashed dish as I did in September (though it was good!) but wanted some firmness of the cauliflower. I've found that seitan doesn't really benefit, at least with a short cook time, in the pressure cooker, so usually add it after other ingredients have cooked. Tonight, since I decided to just cook the cauliflower for "zero minutes" (i.e., just let the cooker come to pressure and then turn off) at low pressure, I just added the seitan at the beginning so it would be nice and hot. I forgot, but was going to add some jalapeno, as well. Here is what I did.


Ingredients
  • Florets from medium head of cauliflower
  • 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped to 1/8" - 1/4" pieces
  • 8 ounces of seitan cut into approximately 3/8" pieces
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cups onion cut reasonably finely (about 1/4" cubes)
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/4 t lemon pepper
  • 1/4 t tarragon
  • 2T nutritional yeast
Process
  1. I put the cauliflower, garlic, seitan, bouillon cube, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 0 minutes on low pressure.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then added the rest of the ingredients and served with brown rice (1:2 ratio rice to water simmered for 50m).
Results

Dinner was good! I think that I prefer this to the mashed cauliflower - though that was good, too. I'm glad that I kept it simple - jalapeno or even ginger wouldn't have been so good in this dish.

Ideas for the future

I should make this dish for my family when they return. When cooking for myself, I should experiment with tofu and cauliflower. At first, I thought that I would have enjoyed some crunch such as from bell pepper, but then I reconsidered and decided that I liked it as it was. However, I'd like to present this with some more color - maybe some mild greens could be mixed in such as kale or collards?

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home