Black Beans with Potato and Fennel, Jade Pearl Rice (No Added Fat)
Diwali! I miss my family but enjoyed spending the afternoon and evening with a friend, who joined me for dinner. I thought that I'd make a black bean dish, and this is what I did:
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, rinsed, soaked overnight (or in boiling water for 3-4 hours), and rinsed again
- Enough water to just cover the beans plus 1/4"
- Medium Yukon Gold (or other) potato cut into 1/2" pieces (about 3/4 -1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic finely (1/8") minced
- 1T ginger finely (1/8") diced
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/3 cup fennel cut into 3/8" cubes
- 1 1/4 cups bell pepper cut into approx. 1 1/4" x 1/4" strips
- 1 1/4 cups corn kernels (I used frozen, but fresh would be fine)
- 1/2 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 t black sesame seed
- 1/8 t turmeric
- 2 t lime juice
- 2 t crushed red pepper
- I put the beans, potato, garlic, ginger, and bouillon cube into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 35m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure (well, actually, I went with my friend to see a film so the Instant Pot was immediately ready in "keep warm" mode when I came home), then aded the fennel, bell pepper, and corn, and cooked for another 2 minutes on low pressure this time.
- When I was ready to serve, I opened the pot slowly, and mixed in the remaining ingredients (onion, lime juice, and seasoning).