Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Warm Chickpea-Kale-Tomato Salad with Baked Potato and Corn-off-the-Cob

I wanted to try something new with kale; a quick search on the internet, and I came up with an interesting sounding chickpea, kale, and tomato salad. I don't know if I've ever served a warm salad, but I used this recipe as a base and came up with a tasty and colorful meal!

I took about 15 ounces of canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed), and brought it to a boil along with a clove of chopped garlic, a teaspoon or two of lemon juice, a cup of water, and a pinch or two of herbed salt. I let it simmer over low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes.

In the meantime, I chopped a head of kale. I removed the bottom inch or so of the stems, then just cut across, leaves and stems, every half inch or so. I sauteed the kale for a few minutes till it was dark green and tender, perhaps five minutes.

Once I removed the chickpeas from the heat, I drained and mixed the kale in. I had two medium tomatoes, one particularly delicious yellow one and a good red one; I diced both into 3/4" or so cubes, and mixed the tomato in, as well, plus a little bit of freshly ground black pepper and raw hemp kernels.

I served this salad warm, along with a tasty baked potato and some corn-off-the-cob. It was a good dinner - the salad was surprisingly tasty and, of course, colorful!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home