Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cabbage Stew with Cannellini Beans served with Quinoa cooked with Marinara


  • One medium potato, cut into 1/4" or 1/2" cubes
  • A quarter large red onion, cut into 1/2" cubes
  • Two cloves of garlic, chopped finely
  • Three medium carrots, cut into 1/2" slices
  • Half of a head of cabbage, cut into half again and then 3/8" strips
  • 1/4 teaspoon of chopped ginger
  • Spices: pinch or two of turmeric; pinch of salt; pinch of cumin seed
  • Small 13.4 ounce box of cannellini beans
  • Less than an eighth of a large red onion, cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1/4 teaspoon dill weed
  • (optional) pinch of salt or salt-herb mixture



  1. In a stock pan, I put a little bit of olive oil and heated over medium heat; within a quarter minute or so, once hot, I added the potato and cooked, stirring occasionally
  2. After about two minutes, I added the onion and garlic and cooked another four or five minutes till the onion was just starting to show signs of carmelizing
  3. I then added the carrot and cooked for two minutes or so, letting the carrot soften
  4. Next, I added the cabbage, stirred, and, a minute later, added the cumin seed and ginger
  5. I stirred for another half minute, then added a cup of water and the remaining spices
  6. I reduced the heat to low and cooked, covered, for about ten minutes, letting the cabbage get soft
  7. I removed the cover from the pan and mixed in the beans and dill weed, as well as herbed salt, and the second batch of red onion (I sometimes use this technique I've come up with of adding onion at different stages of a dish's preparation to get perhaps a nice carmelized taste plus a crunchy more pungent one from the second batch)
  8. I let the dish simmer uncovered another eight to ten minutes to let the moisture be reduced
I served the stew with some quinoa that I made with a few tablespoonfuls of marinara sauce added (i.e., one measure of quinoa, two measures of water [and, ideally, a vegan bouillon cube, but I was out], and the sauce brought to a boil then simmered for about six-ten minutes till the moisture was absorbed and the quinoa showed its characteristic spiral], along with tomato and avocado slices.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home