Monday, September 29, 2008

Dhokla and Samosa with Black-Eyed Pea Curry and Wild Mushroom Salad

This past weekend, my wife found a vendor at the farmer's market who was selling dhokla, a tasty steamed chickpea or lentil flour Gujarati delicacy. I warmed the two pieces that she had left, as well as small samosas that she had brought home from her party on Saturday.

I was out much of the day, but my wife put together for her lunch a black-eyed pea curry. She had sprouted organic black-eyed peas and added them to a little bit of sesame oil, mustard seeds, turmeric, asafotedia, and dried red chili peppers. She told me that she also added some water (I'm guessing a quarter cup or so after a brief saute of the spices over medium heat) and cooked, covered, over low heat for about 8 minutes, then served with some salt and homemade garam masala. There was a little bit of the peas left, and I included them with our dinner.

I had purchased a wild mushroom salad (that included sundried tomatoes and olive oil) from Whole Foods Market, and topped mixed salad greens with it. Half of an avocado rounded out this tasty meal!



I look forward each year to the Carrboro Music Festival; this year, yesterday, there were around 200 bands from 1p till past 11p in many venues, and, as always, all for free. We enjoyed very nice jazz, world fusion, a cool "psychetronic dub and soul" band called Blue Marble Beat, Japanese rock, and more music. We took a break to enjoy a nice meal at Panzanella where we got what we always do - a pasta dish for my wife, shared salad, and so yummy pesto (they have been stocking two vegan pestos, a standard basil one and one with broccolini; like last time, I chose the unique broccolini) pizza for me with artichoke hearts, mushrooms, and a little bit of onion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home