Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Radish Saute, Leftover Lentils with Onions, Beans

I enjoy fresh, raw radishes, and always toss the greens into my compost. I was wondering if the greens could be enjoyed, and found that, indeed, the whole radish could be cooked.

Based on some ideas that I had read about, I started with a bunch of (colorful Easter Egg variety, in my case) washed radishes. I chopped the radish roots into 1/4-1/2" cubes and sauteed with about half of a red onion, cut into medium slivers. As the radish softened after about 4-5 minutes, I threw in the radish greens, roughly cut into thirds. I cooked for another few minutes, then added about two tablespoons of water, covered, and simmered on low heat for just about two minutes, when the greens were still full of color. I served, mixed with some salt. It was interesting - I liked it and may try once in a great while working with other ideas for cooked radishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home