Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Green Chard with Cabbage, Mashed Caribe Potatoes with Roasted Garlic Oil

I made a tasty chard dish by sauteeing in tangerine olive oil a small sweet onion, cut into half moons. A few minutes later, I added the stalks of a bunch of green chard, cut into maybe 1" lengths. Giving this another few minutes to cook, I then added maybe 1/2 cup of cabbage, cut into small pieces; two or three minutes later, I added the chard leaves, roughly cut into 1 1/2" or so squares, along with chopped lavender bell pepper.

After two minutes or so, I added a teaspoon or so of pine nuts, a pinch or two of cumin seeds, and a pinch of turmeric. I stirred for half a minute, giving the cumin a chance to brown a little, then added 1/4 or so cup of water. I let the water distribute the turmeric and soften the dish a bit, then served with a little salt.

I recently picked up some caribe potatoes, purple skinned with white flesh, said to be good mashed. I did just that; I cut two medium-large caribes into small squares (maybe 1/2" or smaller cubes) and boiled them for about a half hour. I then mashed them and mixed in almond milk (I had wanted to use hemp milk, but we were out), some Earth Balance margarine, a little roasted garlic olive oil, salt, black pepper, a very small onion that I had chopped finely, and maybe 1/8 cup Lars' Own crispy onions. It was a good dinner!

Yesterday after my photography class, I stopped at my parents' to visit with them, my brother's family visiting from California, and my aunts visiting from Connecticut. I had planned on eating at home, but at their insistence I enjoyed some of their leftovers, such as a Marathi Indian spicy appetizer and other Indian dishes. On Sunday, I had also eaten there - dhal (lentil soup), rice, and a variety of other Indian dishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home