Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thai Rice Noodles with Tempeh and Vegetables

We were running low on groceries and it was getting late. Taking advantage of the fact that my parents are about 1/8 mile away, we got some salad ingredients and hot green pepper, and I came up with a good meal.

I sauteed some most of a package of tempeh, cut into matchsticks about 1/4" by 1" till the tempeh started turning brown, then I added half of a red and half of a yellow onion, cut into thick half half-moons. I subsequently added to the saute some bell pepper, okra, and finally rice noodles that I had soaked then drained.

I let the rice noodles be stir fried for a minute or two, adding as well about a tablespoon of diced ginger. I would also have added the hot pepper at this time, but my wife hadn't returned with our supplies yet :-) . Then I added a half can of reduced fat coconut milk and simmered, adding half of the pepper, sliced, when my wife returned. I heard in the autumn that one thing that characterizes good Mexican food (I know, this was a Thai dish, but I thought I'd try the hint) is to use three different kinds of hot pepper in a given dish; in addition to the green pepper, I sprinkled in some red chile powder and several splashes of Mongolian Fire Oil drops. After concluding with a little bit of salt, I served dinner - we both loved it!

2 Comments:

At Sun Feb 03, 01:15:00 PM EST, Blogger Alabama Tree Hugger said...

Dilip, was your Thai noodle dish sauce then simply coconut milk, ginger, and the chile stuff? Sounds very good!

 
At Sun Feb 03, 01:42:00 PM EST, Blogger Dilip said...

Exactly. It was a very tasty dish! Thanks for your comment - let me know if you make it how it turns out for you. --Dilip

 

Post a Comment

<< Home