Friday, August 18, 2006

Brussels Sprouts with French Lentils

I came up with the idea of combining French lentils with grilled Brussels sprouts, and came up with a dish that my wife loved. I started heating broth in a 3:1 ratio to raw lentils to a boil (I filled a mini vegan yogurt container with lentils and put in three containers worth of liquid to boil). In the meantime in my cast iron pan with a little bit of olive oil, I grilled halved Brussels sprouts and large chunks of garlic; a few minutes after starting, I put in some broccoli crowns. Once the sprouts were browning a few minutes later, I transferred the garlic to the broth and brought to a boil. I reserved the vegetables in a bowl and put a little Merlot wine over them as a marinade.

Once the broth was at a boil, I added the lentils (a third as much as there was broth) along with a pinch of turmeric and salt, covered the pan, and lowered the heat to a low simmer. It generally takes 30-40 minutes for the lentils to soften and absorb the liquid, and one can also add some raw vegetables. What I did, since the sprouts and broccoli were cooked, is added these vegetables about 35 minutes later, allowing about 5 minutes to let the flavors mingle, including the small amount of wine marinade. Once the lentils were done, I mixed in some crushed red pepper and Kermit's Fresh Lime and Datil Pepper Seasoning. I served dinner with a heirloom tomatoes, baby carrots, radishes, and rosemary sourdough toast with artichoke tapenade.

By the way, yesterday I picked up an interesting product on clearance, Volcano Lime Burst. I was a little dubious about it as its main ingredient is water, but its organic lime juice is supplemented with lime oil. I suppose I could easily make such a mixture at home as I have small bottles of potent lime oil and lemon oil. Anyway, I mixed a drink both yesterday and today to serve with dinner - Knudsen Coconut Nectar with several drops of the Burst. It was good!

2 Comments:

At Mon Aug 21, 11:11:00 PM EDT, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Oh, i like the way that looks, especially the lentils!

 
At Wed Aug 23, 12:24:00 AM EDT, Blogger Dilip said...

Thanks, Kleopatra! I try to make sure that my dinner plates are appealing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home