Saturday, June 10, 2017

Waterless Seitan and Artichoke with Corn and Quinoa (No Added Fat)

A particularly nice cousin of my wife's is visiting for a few days and arrived this morning. I was even more excited than usual about cooking!

I thought that I'd make a waterless seitan and vegetable dish. I made some corn off the cob and quinoa; I normally have a salad, so wondered what the main course might be like with fresh tomato. Here is what I did.

  • 1/3 cup onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1 clove garlic, finely (app. 1/8") chopped
  • 2 cups (most of a 12 ounce bag) frozen artichoke heart quarters (canned artichoke hearts could be used; if so, they should be drained and rinsed and added at the end of the cooking, mixed in, and allowed to sit for 2 or more minutes)
  • 1 1/2 cups mixed mushroom cut into 1/2" thick slices (I used frozen pieces which were cut a bit finer)
  • 1/2 cup, compressed, kale leaves, hand torn (stems excepted) into approximately 1" squares (I used freshly picked kale from our garden; the stems were tender, so I didn't remove the stems)
  • 8 ounces seitan, cut as you wish (thin slices would be more delicate tasting and thicker chunks would be heartier; I used a package of sliced seitan where each piece was maybe 1" x 3/8" x 1/2")
  • 1 - 1 1/4 cups carrot cut into 1/4" slices (larger diameter slices can be halved; I used 2 medium carrots)
  • Medium or large bell pepper
  • 2 medium tomatoes cut into 1/2" cubes (about a cup and a quarter)
  • 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
  • 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
  1. I put, in this order, the onion, garlic, artichoke, mushroom, kale, seitan, and carrot into a large Saladmaster stock pan. I cooked waterlessly - i.e., I covered the pan and heated it on medium high until the vapor release started jiggling, then I reduced the heat to low till the jiggle stopped. I let it cook for about 20 minutes.
  2. While the dish was cooking, I roasted a bell pepper by putting it directly on flame (from my gas range) and turning it occasionally till it was mostly charred. I then put the pepper into a brown paper bag and crumpled the bag closed.
  3. After about 15 minutes (the longer the better, up to about 45 minutes), I removed the bell pepper from the bag, ran it under cold running water, rubbing the burnt skin off, then cut it in half and removed the membranes and seeds. I then cut the pepper into approximately 1" x 3/8" strips, coming up with about a cupful.
  4. When the waterless cooking was done, I mixed in the bell pepper, tomato, salt, and pepper.
I also served some corn off the cob with lime juice and salt, as well as quinoa with onion and garlic.


I loved dinner and, more importantly, my wife, daughter (except for the quinoa, which she doesn't like), and cousin seemed to really enjoy it.

Ideas for the future

The main course was excellent primarily because, I think, of the combination of seitan and artichoke. The tomato was a very nice addition but the dish didn't rely on it. I should experiment with more cooked dishes with raw tomato or maybe Napa cabbage or other ingredient added at the end.

Labels: , , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home