Saturday, November 12, 2016

Kale and Seitan with Marinara, Madagascar Pink Rice (No Added Fat)

Ingredients
  • Half head of kale, stems excepted, and leaves roughly hand torn into approximately 1 1/2" squares
  • Medium carrot cut into 1/2" slices and then slices quartered
  • 2 cloves garlic finely (approx. 1/8") diced
  • 1/2 cup marinara sauce
  • 4 ounces of seitan cut into approx. 1/2" x 1" strips
  • 1/2 cups onion cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1/2 t garlic powder (I actually am experimenting with garlic granules, and used them instead)
  • 1/8 t turmeric
Process
  1. I put the kale, carrot, garlic, marinara sauce, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 2m under low pressure.
  2. After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the seitan, onion, garlic granules, and turmeric.
I served with Madagascar Pink rice (simmered, covered, for 20m with a ratio of 1 part rice, 1 3/4 parts water, plus a vegan bouillon cube).
Results

Dinner was good. I was initially reluctant to mix turmeric and marinara, but it's a subtle and nice combination. The dish could have used some heat, and I ended up adding crushed red pepper to a second serving. I should make this dish for my family when they return from their trip.

Ideas for the future

I like the simplicity of not having too many ingredients and hesitate to add, but a bit of celery would add a nice more or less neutral crunch. I can't think of other improvements, except for including jalapeno or crushed red pepper.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home