Black Bean and Rice Soup (No Added Fat)
- 1 1/2 cups black beans
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 2t ginger, finely (1/8") diced
- 1/4 cup onion cut into 5/8" cubes
- 4 leaves kale, stems excepted (composted) and roughly hand torn into approximately 5/8" squares
- 1/4 t ground cumin
- 7 cups water
- Vegan bouillon cube
- Juice of 1/4 lemon or lime (I used Meyer lemon and then cut up the peel into roughly 3/8" squares)
- 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
- 1/4 t garlic powder (I'd have preferred cooking with a few cloves of garlic at the beginning, but we were out of garlic)
- I soaked the beans and rice, combined, for about 8 hours in ample water, rinsing before and after.
- After a final rinse, I put the drained rice and beans in my Instant Pot pressure cooker, added the ginger, onion, kale, cumin, water, bouillon cube, and lemon juice (and lemon pieces) and cooked for 30m (I just pressed the Instant Pot's "Soup" button).
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in salt and garlic powder, and served.
The rice worked well in the soup. My wife put the beans and rice to soak initially and picked out brown Basmati rice; it was good, but regular brown rice, which I intended, would be thicker and, I think, better. I might try a beans and barley soup sometime, as a thicker grain may work even better than rice.