Artichoke - Split Pea Stew with Brown Rice (No Added Fat)
I thought that I'd let the artichokes cook instead of having them added at the end, to soften the artichoke and possibly partially dissolve the artichoke, marrying the flavor with the split pea base. Split peas cook in a 1:3 ratio to water over 6-10 minutes, and I cooked for the full 10m to soften the artichoke as much as possible. Here is what I did.
- 2 cups yellow (or green) split pea
- 6 cups water
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts, quartered (I used frozen)
- 2 cups leek, 1/2" from root end removed then leek cut into half lengthwise and carefully washed and sliced into 1/4" lengths (I used most of a small-medium leek)
- 2 cups chopped kale (I used frozen)
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1t ground cumin
- 2t lemon juice
- 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- I put the split pea, water, artichoke hearts, leek, kale, bouillon cube, and cumin into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 10m.
- After the cooking was done, I waited a few minutes and gently released pressure, then mixed in the lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder.