Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Spicy Brussels Sprouts, Jade Pearl Rice with Edamame, Kabocha Squash with Cranberry Sauce (No Added Fat, Gluten Free)

We are in the midst of Thanksgiving! We host the country's largest single-extended seating Thanksgiving with about 650 people expected on Thanksgiving Day! We had an event on Sunday at Vegan Flava Café with about 100 people, and a second Pre-Thanksgiving yesterday at Kipos Greek Taverna, also with about 100 people.

For tonight, my daughter and I came home with her hungry and wanting miso soup with tofu, and that's what I quickly put together for her. I took advantage of my daughter's not eating with us to make a spicier dish than normal for my wife and me. I thought I'd make a dish featuring Brussels sprouts.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, rinsed, then very ends and outer leaves removed, and finally halved (approximately 2 dozen sprouts, about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1t each jalapeno and ginger, finely (1/8" or so) diced
  • 1/4 cup onion, cut into 3/8" cubes
  • 1/8 t (or to taste) salt
  • pinch or two of turmeric
  • Dozen or so rosemary needles, halved
  • 1t fresh lemon juice
Process
  1. I put the water and steamer trivet into my Instant Pot pressure cooker.
  2. I put the Brussels sprouts on top of the trivet in the pressure cooker, being careful that none fell through the gaps, and pressure steamed for 2 minutes.
  3. When I was ready to serve dinner, I opened the Instant Pot slowly, and mixed the Brussels sprouts with the jalapeno, ginger, onion, salt, turmeric, rosemary, and lemon juice.
I also heated up a half Kabocha squash and made some Jade Pearl rice (1 part rice to 1 1/2 parts water, along with some onion and edamame), and served along with some (purchased) cranberry sauce. (I added the sauce after the picture - though I should have not, as the dark red added a nice color element to dinner.)

Results

Dinner was good. I was happy with how nicely cooked the Brussels sprouts were. After I mixed all the ingredients, I was left wanting more heat, so added maybe 1/2 t of a spicy jerk seasoning. It came out well, but could have used something more - perhaps capers, lemon zest, or something else. The rice with edamame was good!

Ideas for the future

I like the idea of making a main course Brussels sprouts dish where the sprouts really shine, like I did today. I'd like to try using citrus zest and capers, as well as maybe something crunchy, like Napa Cabbage.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home