Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween Edamame, Turnip, Parsnip, Carrot, and Kale Soup, Pumpkin Bread, and Quinoa

I wanted to put something easy together for dinner before going out trick or treating with my daughter. She expressed interest in soup, so that's what we had. I simply put into my Instant Pot all the ingredients and cooked for 12 minutes.

I don't have details of quantities, since I did this quickly, but I used:

  • Turnip root, cubed
  • Parsnip, sliced
  • Carrot, sliced
  • Onion, in small half moons
  • Kale, roughly hand torn into 1/2" or so squares
  • Miso
  • About 5 or 6 cups of water
  • Edamame, shelled and frozen
  • Peas, frozen
I cooked all of these ingredients except the frozen ones; I added the frozen ones after the 12m cook time, and covered the pot again to allow the peas and edamame to cook in the existing heat.

I also served some pumpkin bread toast topped with tomato and olive, and simple, plain quinoa. Everybody loved the soup!

This was the first time, other than with dhals or split peas, that I've made a soup in the Instant Pot, as far as I can remember. I was wondering if I should use a simple 3m or so cook time, but decided that all of the water may make a difference (I think the "Soup" button starts off with a 30m cook time), so went with 12m. I think it was a good choice; the tastes were nicely mixed together. I'll bet soups would be even more flavorful with the slow cooking function of the Instant Pot or just cooked for longer, perhaps 15-18 minutes. I'll have to try more soups in the Instant Pot!

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home