Sunday, October 18, 2015

Giant Peruvian Lima Beans with Baby Kale, Lemon Rosemary Bread with Guacamole, Corn off the Cob (No Added Fat)

My wife left this afternoon on a business trip so I'm making dinner just for my daughter and myself. We love Giant Peruvian lima beans and I thought I'd make a simple dish with beans and a few vegetables. I hadn't soaked the beans, so soaked in ample boiling water about a cup of the beans for maybe 45m. I rinsed them (again), then put fresh water to just cover the beans and cooked for 30m in my Instant Pot pressure cooker. (I should have included a vegan bouillon cube, but forgot.)

While the beans were cooking, we had a ripe avocado and we all love guacamole. I made guacamole with the avocado, lemon juice, salt, black pepper, garlic, onion, and rosemary needles, and let it sit, covered, in the refrigerator. We purchased some tasty lemon rosemary bread at Weaver Street Market today, and I was going to serve lightly warmed bread with the guacamole.

I also prepared a roasted red bell pepper. I put it on the range's flame till it was charred throughout, then put it in a brown paper bag, rolled up the bag, and let it sit for 10m or so. I then put it under cold running water, gently rubbing the charred skin off. I chopped the pepper, discarding the seeds and inner membranes, into 1/2" squares. I also prepared about 1/4 cup of onion as 1/4" cubes.

When the beans were done and a few minutes passed, I gently opened the Instant Pot and mixed in a bouillon cube, plus the bell pepper and onion, as well as a little salt and maybe 1/4 t lemon juice. I mixed in about 1/2 cup compressed baby kale, and served, along with the guacamole on bread, and some corn off the cob.

My daughter and I both loved the meal! This is a good way to prepare these tasty beans, and they were nicely cooked without having been soaked. I'll bet I could get away with a 28m cook time, but 30m is fine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home