Seitan with Kale and Pumpkin Salsa (waterless), served with Cauliflower Short-Grained Brown Rice (No Added Fat)
1 : 1.25 ratio for only 22-28 minutes. I thought I'd try about 23m.
I had some Frontera brand chipotle pumpkin salsa (with a modest fat content of half a gram per 2 T) and thought I'd make a waterless seitan and greens dish. This is what I did:
- 1 cup short-grained brown rice
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped to 1/2" cubes
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/4 t salt
- Medium shallot cut into 1/4" thick half moons (about a half cup)
- 8 ounces seitan (I bought strips but if chunks, first slice into approximately 3/8" x 1 1/2" slices)
- 1 compressed cup kale leaves (not stems), roughly hand cut into approximately 1/2" squares
- 6T (3/8 of a cup) salsa
- I put the rice, water, cauliflower, bouillon cube, and salt in the Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for 23m.
- In the meantime, I put in my small Saladmaster stock pot, in this order, the shallot, seitan, and kale.
- I covered the pot and cooked on medium heat for a few minutes until the vapor release began to jiggle, then I reduced the heat to low and cooked for 20m or so.
- I let the pressure cooker cool a bit for a few minutes, then slowly let the pressure out.
- I turned the heat to the pot off and removed the lid; I served my daughter then added the salsa to my wife and my portions (I call this dish no added fat as each serving just had 3/4 g of fat from this particular salsa), and served.
- I fluffed up the rice dish and served, along with tomato and hemp seeds.