Flageolet Beans with Broccoli Rabe and Pearl Onions (No Added Fat)
dish that I had made in May with spinach. I wanted to make our dinner and also something for a client. The client I was cooking for doesn't eat spice, and my daughter doesn't eat squash. Here is what I did.
- 3 cups flageolet beans
- Large 28 ounce can of stewed tomatoes (I used fire roasted, diced tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped broccoli or broccoli rabe to yield 1/2" or so pieces (I used half of a frozen 16 ounce bag of broccoli rabe)
- 1t plus another 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 lemon pepper (or freshly ground black pepper)
- 3t finely chopped basil
- 1t fresh squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 8 ounces cooked winter squash cut into approx. 3/4" cubes (I used half a bag of frozen butternut squash)
- 1 cup onion, diced to about 1/4" cubes (instead, I used a cup of frozen pearl onions; I used about 4 1/2 ounces of a 12 ounce bag of frozen onions)
- 1/4 t garlic powder
- I rinsed the beans and soaked them in ample water overnight.
- I rinsed the beans (they had been soaking about 12 hours and the 3 cups had become 4 cups), added the stewed tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, and bouillon cube, and cooked for 25 minutes in my Instant Pot pressure cooker. (In hindsight, a few cloves of minced garlic would also have been good.)
- I cooked hours before I needed to serve so just waited a half hour or so till the pressure was reduced and I could open the Instant Pot.
- I added the frozen broccoli rabe, as well as the salt, lemon pepper, chopped basil, and lemon juice.
- I reserved half of the dish into a storage container and mixed in the squash to that container. I'll deliver this to a client.
- To our half of the dish, I added the onion and another 1/2 t of salt. I also added 1/4 t garlic powder. I put our portion, still in the Instant Pot pot, back in the pressure cooker and pushed the "Keep Warm" button; by the time we would eat an hour or so later, the onion would have warmed up.