Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Flageolet Beans with Spinach (No Added Fat)

I made a dish for a client a few days ago with flageolet beans and spinach, and quite liked it. I recreated it with some more seasoning (this client likes bland food) for my family.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups flageolet (or navy) beans soaked overnight in ample water
  • Enough water to just cover the beans (maybe 3/4 cup)
  • Vegan bouillon cube - 26m
  • 1c frozen (or fresh) chopped spinach
  • 1/2 c onion chopped to 1/4" cubes
  • (Optional) 1t of green garlic or shallot or chives cut finely (1/4" or smaller)
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) salt
  • 1/4 t (or to taste) lemon pepper or freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 t dried oregano
  • 2T fresh squeezed lime (or lemon) juice

Process
  1. I had soaked the beans overnight but ended up making something else for dinner yesterday, so I rinsed, put fresh water in the pot, and refrigerated, covered, till earlier today, then rinsed the beans. I covered with enough water to just cover the beans, and added the boullion cube. I cooked in my Instant Pot pressure cooker for 26m.
  2. Once it was done, I waited a few minutes then slowly let out the steam till I could open the pot. 
  3. I added the spinach, mixed, and closed the pot in "keep warm" mode. After just a few minutes, the spinach was warm. (If I had used fresh spinach, I would just add it and continue with the next step.)
  4. I mixed in the onion, green garlic, salt, lemon pepper, oregano, and lime juice.
I also made some Madagascar Pink rice by cooking for 20m rice in 1 3/4 part (I often use 2 parts) water, a vegan bouillon cube, and a little salt, then fluffing it and serving. Some tomato slices completed the meal.

Results

Pending

Ideas for the future

Pending

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home