Green Split Pea Dhal with Mixed Vegetables, Israeli Couscous Blend (No Added Fat)
- 2 2/3 cups green (or yellow) split pea, sorted with debris eliminated and then rinsed
- 8 cups water
- (Optional) vegan bouillon cube; I skipped
- 1 t finely chopped (1/8") ginger
- 16 oz frozen cubed vegetables (I used a carrot-pea-corn-green bean combination)
- Approx. 1/4 t salt
- 2T fresh squeezed lime (or lemon) juice
- Approx. 1/8 t each lemon pepper, turmeric
- Approx. 1/4 t ground cumin
- I added the split pea, water, ginger, and vegetables to the Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked under high pressure for 6m. I was a bit concerned that the 6-quart pot was maybe 2/3 full, and I know that foods that foam, like split peas and lentils, should generally not be cooked with the pot more than halfway full.
- Once it was done, I waited a few minutes then slowly let out the steam till I could open the pot. Indeed, I got a bit of foam on the top, but I could easily clean it.
- The dish had significant liquid, so I poured it through a strainer to thicken it a bit, then added the salt and lime juice.
- I reserved most of the dish for my clients and put about 1/4 of what I made, for my family, in a separate large bowl, to which I added the lemon pepper, turmeric, and cumin, then served.