Split Pea - Artichoke Heart Stew with Tricolor Quinoa-Spinach and Corn-off-the-Cob (No Added Fat)
ArtiHearts™, packaged grilled artichoke hearts. I wanted to make a dish with them and came up with the unusual idea of cooking them with split peas or lentils. Here is what I did:
- 1/2 cup green (or yellow) split pea
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Vegan bouillon cube
- 1/4 t finely chopped (1/8") ginger
- 6 kale leaves, stems excepted (composted or discarded), roughly hand torn into approximately 3/4" leaves
- 2t chopped basil (I used frozen cubes)
- Approx. 1 cup artichoke hearts (I use most of a packaged ArtiHearts™) roughly chopped into approximately 3/4" pieces
- Approx. 1/8 t each dried oregano and lemon pepper
- 1/2 t or to taste salt
- Lemon juice to taste (I used about a teaspoon of fresh squeezed Meyer lemon juice)
- The normal way to cook green split peas is to sort through them, eliminating any debris, then to rinse them, which I did.
- The next step calls for cooking in a 1 part to 3 parts water ratio for a 45m simmer or 6-10m high pressure cook. I used my Instant Pot pressure cooker to cook the split peas, water, and bouillon cube for 5m under high pressure; the split peas tasted good and just a bit undercooked.
- I added the ginger, kale, and basil, and cooked on high pressure for another minute.
- When I was ready to serve, I gently let out the remaining pressure and added the artichoke, oregano, lemon pepper, salt, and lemon juice.