Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Fingerling Potato with Edamame, Corn-off-the-Cob (No Added Fat)

I thought that I'd cook some fingerling potatoes that I had, and decided to go with waterless cooking. Here is what I did:


Ingredients
  • 1/2 medium onion cut into 1/4" thick half moon slices (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 10 Russian Banana (or other kind) fingerling potatoes cut in halves (about 3 cups)
  • 1/2 t finely (1/8") diced garlic
  • 2T fennel cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 2 cups frozen edamame in pods
  • 1t frozen basil
  • 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
  • 1/2 t lemon pepper

Process
  1. I put the onion, potato, garlic, fennel, edamame, and basil, in that order, into a large Saladmaster stock pan that I started heating on medium high as soon as the onion went in.
  2. I covered the pan and waited a few minutes till the vapor lock started jiggling, then reduced the heat to low to stop or minimize the jiggling and steam release.
  3. I cooked for about 30 minutes then mixed in the salt and lemon pepper, and served.
I also prepared some roasted corn-off-the-cob. I didn't have any lime or lemon, so mixed in just a little bit of tangerine juice, plus a little salt and a very little (maybe 1/4 or 1/2 t) vegan margarine (a new variety called Melt). Tomato and fresh peas in the pod completed the meal.


Results

I had never cooked edamame in pods, or at least don't remember doing so. Enthusiastically, I liked the first one or two, but really the shell was too fibrous and we all shelled and then added to the compost pile the shell. Dinner was good! I had considered adding some tomato sauce to the finished product, but when I tasted the dish, it was good and wouldn't have benefited from the sauce.

Ideas for the future

I should cook waterlessly more often. It's easy and nutritious! The fennel contributed very little flavor - I should have used more or could easily have just omitted it.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home