Monday, March 09, 2015

Japanese Sweet Potato with Tomatilla and Roasted Red Bell Pepper, Tricolor Quinoa with Corn (No Added Fat)

Back in 2007, I had a small experience grilling with tomatillas but, other than using prepared tomatilla salsa occasionally, I can't remember doing much cooking with tomatillas. I picked a few up today and decided to try using them in the pressure cooker. They're so moist and, though I don't think are eaten raw, I figured just a minute of pressure cooking would result in an interesting flavor.

My wife had prepared some sweet potatoes by pressure steaming them just before I made dinner. I used one, still warm, in the main course. I also used up the remaining roasted red bell pepper that I had. Here is what I did:


Ingredients
  • 2 medium tomatillas cut into 3/8" cubes (approx. 1 3/4 cups)
  • 1/2 cup onion cut into 1/4" cubes
  • 1/2 cup bok choy cut into 1/2" cubes; other greens could be used
  • (optional) 4-6 leaves of kale roughly hand-torn into approx. 1/2" squares, stems excepted
  • Vegan bouillon cube
  • 1T ginger finely (1/8" diced)
  • 1/3 cup water
  • Cooked sweet potato cut into 3/4" cubes (1 1/2 cups); I usually leave skin on, but decided to compost the skin
  • (optional) approx. 1/3 roasted bell pepper cut into approx. 1/4" x 3/4" strips
  • 2 scallions cut into 1/2" lengths
  • 1/2 t (or to taste) hot red chili powder
  • Lemon pepper and salt to taste (I used about 1/4 t of each)

Process
  1. I put the tomatilla, onion, bok choy, kale, bouillon cube, ginger, and water into my Instant Pot pressure cooker and cooked for just one minute under high pressure.
  2. When I was ready to proceed, I slowly let out remaining pressure and added the remaining ingredients (sweet potato, roasted pepper, scallion, and spices), and served.
I also made tricolor quinoa with corn.


Results

Wow, the tomatilla was excellent! My wife and I loved the main course. The tomatilla added a moist and nice taste to the dish. I love white-fleshed Japanese sweet potato, which I used - the combination was great. I had made something else for my daughter today, so was free to use spice, which went well with the main course.

Ideas for the future

I should occasionally cook with tomatillas!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home