Thick Moong Dhal with Sauteed Broccoli (No Added Fat)
PopUp Chorus, and needed to put dinner together quickly today. I thought that I'd try making a dhal with vegetables like potato and bell pepper, really a lentil stew, and put some skinned and split mung beans into my Instant Pot pressure cooker earlier in the day and set a timer to be ready an hour or so before dinner, enough time for me to add some vegetables and run the pressure cooker a second time.
As it turned out, the lentils tasted great when they were done and I went with them as-was without vegetables. I also made a simple broccoli sauté. Here is what I did (incidentally, tonight's chorus was particularly exciting; the chorus director proposed to his girlfriend via a song that he had written!):
- 1 cup skinned and split mung bean lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1/8 t turmeric
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/8 t ground cumin
- 2t fresh squeezed lemon juice
- I rinsed the lentils then cooked them in the Instant Pot pressure cooker, with all the ingredients except for the lemon juice, for 10m.
- I slowly released pressure and opened the pot, then mixed in the lemon juice.
- I thought it would take 12-13m and was going to add some vegetables and then cook again for 2m more, but I was delighted with the creamy flavor of the lentils, so - that's it!